The Junior League of Portland is a member of the The Association of Junior Leagues International Inc. (AJLI), an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Junior Leagues reach out to women of all races, religions and national origins who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism.
The Power of Association
Formed in 1921, AJLI is based in New York City and provides comprehensive consultation, training and other support services that assist the leadership of the 293 Junior Leagues throughout Canada, Mexico, the United States and the United Kingdom. AJLI is governed by a 20-member Board of Directors, each of whom is a member of the Junior League in her community. The Board is accountable to the Leagues for the development of goals, which enhance Leagues’ ability to fulfill the Junior League mission. The Board also ensures that AJLI provides services to Leagues that support established goals.
AJLI is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. All of its programs and activities are supported by League membership dues, foundation and corporate grants and other revenue-producing efforts.
AJLI Membership Highlights
Today there are nearly 170,000 Junior League members in 293 Junior Leagues in four countries – Canada, Mexico, the United States and the United Kingdom. Following are some statistics related to League membership:
JL Members are INFLUENTIAL CITIZENS
- 41% of JL members are “Roper Influentials” – political and social trendsetters
- 4 times the average for women
JL Members are RENAISSANCE WOMEN
- 37% of JL members are “Renaissance Women”, – balancing work, family and a myriad of cultural and educational activities.
- 25 points higher than women on average
JL Members GIVE BACK
- Avg. hours per week in JL activities – 5.3
- 80% of JL members are involved in other voluntary organizations
- 98% of JL members donated money to a charity in the past year
Visit www.ajli.org for more information about the Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc.