JLP CAREs 2011
Thank you to everyone who volunteered, donated, and fundraised for JLP’s 2nd Annual Volunteer in Portland (VIP) Day Saturday, October 22, 2011. It was a HUGE success!
Here are just a few of the tasks volunteers accomplished:
- Over 40 volunteers painted 16,000 square feet of walls. This involved moving furniture, removing pictures hung on the walls and taping walls… and then putting it all back!
- Cleaned and disinfected 3 offices, 1 lunch room, 8 classrooms & 15,000 toy pieces
- Cleaned and scrubbed the outdoor play area, including hand-scrubbing 50 larger toys and structures
- Cleaned and “winterized” the garden
- Cleaned the floors
Peninsula Children’s Learning Center
- Over 30 volunteers removed a wooden fence, prepped and planted a 10’ x 15’ shade garden with the help of Master Gardener and Sustainer Judy Fenker
- Cleaned out garden and flower beds in the play area, by the front entrance and parking lot and planted them with over 400 spring bulbs and flowers
- Cleaned out 3 compost bins and raked down the straw in the vegetable garden area
- Raked up 30+ bags of leaves
- Removed wall-mounted cubbies from classrooms
- Cleaned classrooms and the kitchen
- Planted a rain garden next to the stroller shed, including installing a rain chain
- Built and installed a musical fence
- Raked and cleaned up the outside property
- Taught 10 residents how to cook Chicken Tortilla Soup using a crock pot and prepare healthy, affordable meals for their families
- JLP gifted each resident gift cards to Fred Meyer, in addition to gifting the crock pots and ingredients to make the soup
- Weeded, cleaned out, prepped and mulched huge winter vegetable gardens
- Cleaned moss off the sidewalks and structures and bagged up leaves
- Removed moss and clover from a section of grass of ground to be seeded with grass
- Planted over 150 spring bulbs and fall flowers
- Donated over 20 pots and planted them with winter vegetables for White Shield’s upcoming greenhouse
- Wedded, leveled and prepped area where greenhouse will stand
And, last but not least, we raised over $25,000!
Thank you again to everyone for supporting JLP’s volunteer and fundraising efforts!
Further questions or need help? Please email JLPCARE@juniorleagueofportland.org